Escuela de Doctorado - UAH - Academic procedures - Qualifications and certificates

Academic certificates

You can obtain information about your academic record without the need to apply for a certificate, by accessing My Portal with your username and password.  If you have forgotten your account details, go to the doctorate registry page, register, and then click on remember password.

If you wish to obtain certificates that attest to your academic record, these will be issued on application following payment of the public fees applicable at the time of application. Instructions for application and payment are given below. 

  • Application and documents to submit:
  • Submission of application: in person at the Graduate Students’ Secretariat or by email to:
  • Invoice for payment: the Graduate Students’ Secretariat will review your application and check your academic record. If it is complete, we will issue you with an invoice for payment, or, if you applied via email, we will advise you when the invoice is ready for download on My Portal. If you have forgotten your account details, go to the doctorate registry page, register, and then click on remember password.
  • Method of payment:
    • If you reside in Spain:

      ​You can pay in cash at any branch of the Banco Santander, presenting two copies of the invoice for payment. After paying, you must present one copy to the Graduate Students’ Secretariat, or scan it and send it to:
    • If you reside abroad:

      You must pay by bank transfer. The bank details are: 

      Account Number - Banco Santander: 0049 6692 80 2116216042 
      IBAN CODE ES85 0049 6692 8021 1621 6042 SWIFT BSCHESMM 
      Calle Libreros 19, 28801 - Alcalá de Henares (Madrid). 
      Telephone: 91 889 11 58. 
      The amount to be paid is shown on the invoice. Applicants are responsible for payment of all transfer fees or other bank charges incurred, and such costs may not be deducted from the amount of the government-regulated price of the certificate.

      The bank transfer receipt must include:

      ​The student's surname(s) and first name(s). 
      The item, e.g. Academic certificate of the Master's degree in...
      The reference number of the invoice issued by the Department of Postgraduate and Non-Accredited Course Students when the certificate was requested.

      ​After payment, you must send proof of transfer (the bank transfer receipt) to the following email address:

Note: The certificate will not be prepared or issued if the amount transferred is less than the price of the requested document.

Issue of Certificate:

If you paid in cash at the bank, your certificate will be issued within ten days from the date you presented the bank receipt at the Graduate Students’ Secretariat.

If you paid by bank transfer, your certificate will be issued within ten days from the date of verification of payment made. Where bank fees and charges have reduced the amount due for the academic certificate, the outstanding amount will be requested and your certificate will be issued within ten days from the date on which full payment is completed.

Delivery of the certificate:

The certificate will be sent or made available for collection via the method specified in the application for the certificate.



Degree of Doctor

The full title of the Doctoral degree is "Doctor of the University of Alcalá". The degree certificate will also include information specifying the field of knowledge to which the thesis corresponds.

The doctoral degree will be officially recognised as valid throughout the national territory and entitles the holder to enjoy the rights associated with this qualification endowed by the regulations in force.

At the back, the certificate may also include the “European Doctorate” mention, in those thesis under the decree RD 98/1998, or the “International Doctorate” mention in those thesis regulated by later decrees. 

You must take into account the following:

  • The application can be submitted once the distinctions of Cum laude have been made public and it implies closing the academic record, so that once made, additional information may not be incorporated into the record.
  • The certificate will be issued when you request it, on payment of the fees in force at the time of application.
  • For transactions related to this application you need a username and password. If you do not remember them, click here

Documents to submit:

  • Doctoral Degree Application Form (PDF). Please indicate if you qualify for reductions or exemptions from public fees.
  • Attach a copy of your DNI or, if you are a foreign citizen, ID or passport to your application.
  • We will notify you of the form of payment. Once payment is made, please send us the proof of payment.

Where to present them:

At the Doctoral School or by email to

Application for degree duplicate:

A duplicate of the certificate can only be requested once the original certificate has been applied for and the fees have been paid. Go to the following link.

Collection of degree certificate

When the certificate is issued, we will write to your email address listed on your record. You can collect it from the Doctoral School:

  • In person: you will need to bring proof of your identity - your DNI (Spanish citizens) or NIE/Passport (foreign citizens) or the national ID of a EU country.

  • By another person: they will need to be authorised by power of attorney in order to collect the certificate on your behalf. If the power of attorney is issued abroad, it must be duly authenticated and translated into Spanish.

If you reside in a Autonomous Community different from that of the University or abroad, you can request, on payment of the established fees, to collect the certificate from the Delegation or Sub-Delegation of the Government of the Autonomous Community which you have indicated or from the Diplomatic Representation of Spain in the country concerned. 

Steps to apply for having the certificate sent this way:

1. Fill in the Application form (PDF) and sign it.

2. Go to Receipts management and create the receipt to pay.

3. Submit the application form along with proof of payment to:


After sending the certificate to the address on your application, if it is returned to the University for reasons not attributable to this institution, if you want to use this service again, you will have to make a new application and pay the fees again.

Provisional degree certificate


Once applicants have paid their degree certificate issuance fees, they may request a provisional degree certificate which shall serve as a substitute of equal value until such time as the definitive certificate is issued. This provisional certificate shall be signed by the Rector and shall have the same effect as the definitive degree certificate, without incurring any additional cost.


If the applicant intends to validate this certificate and the successfully completed doctoral programme is regulated by Royal Decree 56/2005 and Royal Decree 1393/2007, the provisional certificate shall be available within approximately one month of submitting the application. Application for Provisional Degree Certificate (PDF)

Recognition of foreign titles

Requests to establish the declaration of equivalence of foreign higher education degree titles to the title of Doctoral Degree must be submitted to the Doctoral School, in accordance with the provisions of the Regulation approved by the Governing Body of the University of Alcalá at its session of 25 June 2015. Application form